The Railway Budget 2012 provides for the following new services in Tamil Nadu:
New Trains –
1) Coimbatore – Bikaner (in Rajasthan) via Konkan Railway passing through Mangalore, Roha, Vasai Road, Ahmedabad & Jodhpur = WEEKLY
2) Chennai – Bangalore AC DOUBLE-DECKER Express = DAILY.
3) Trichy – Tirunelveli Intercity Express via Madurai, Virudunagar = DAILY.
4) Dadar (Mumbai) – Tirunelveli Express via Konkan Railway passing through Roha, Mangalore, Coimbatore, Erode, Madurai = WEEKLY
5) Visakhapatnam – Chennai Express = WEEKLY
6) Kacheguda (Hyderabad) – Madurai Express via Dharavaram, Pakala, Jolarpettai, Erode, Dindugal = WEEKLY
7) Shalimar (Kolkotta) – Chennai Express = WEEKLY
8) Mannargudi – Tirupati Express via Thiruvarur, Villupuram, Katpadi = TRI-WEEKLY. (Guage Conversion between Thiruvarur & Mayiladuthurai still underway).
9) Chennai – Puri (in Odissa) Express = WEEKLY
10) Asansol (in West Bengal) – Chennai Express via Purulia, Sambalpur, Vizianagaram = WEEKLY
11) Villupuram – Katpadi Passenger via Tiruvannamalai = DAILY. (Hopefully this is in addition to the current passenger train on this route)
12) Villupuram – Mayiladuthurai Passenger = DAILY
13) Palakkad – Coimbatore – Erode MEMU = DAILY
NOTE: Schedule & stoppages not known
Electrification of Coimbatore – Mettupalayam line will be taken up in 2012-13
There is a mention of the MRTS extension from Velachery to St. Thomas Mount progressing smoothly and it is expected to be commissioned next year.
Gauge Conversion –
Sengottai – Bhagavathipuram & Pollachi – Kinattukkadavu (enroute to Coimbatore) Gauge Conversion will be completed in 2012-13
Adarsh Stations –
Following Stations in Tamil Nadu will be upgraded as Adarsh Stations:
Ariyalur, Coimbatore, Thiruverumbur,
Eco-friendly Power –
As part of Railways Power Generation initiative, among other states, Railways will also set-up windmill plants in Tamil Nadu.
A bio-diesel plant is to be commissioned in Tondiarpet (Chennai)
Sub-Urban Services –
18 additional Services in Chennai (split among all routes in Chennai)
Royapuram Station –
A pre-feasibility study for development of Royapuram Station in Chennai will be undertaken
Tamil Nadu may also be benefited from the other initiatives but the above are specific to the state.